8 January 2012

Crispy Oat Crusted Fish Fillet with Tartar Sauce

I was looking for a perfect dish paired with spaghetti meatballs the other day. While a chicken dish came first thing to my mind, I decided to skip it since we've been having chicken everyday this week. I decided to try something crispy, yet not chicken. Hence I found this recipe from Very Best Baking. It's a simple fish fillet recipe that's different from my usual dory cooking (butter or cheese).



The name of the dish says it all, fish fillet covered in oats, with tartar sauce as dip. No fancy-pancy. No special foreign sounding ingredient. The only comment I have is that it lacks something fresh. Maybe some fresh greens, or a bit more of citrus? (Oh and the homemade tartar sauce is über!) If you like some twist to your plain-ole fish fillet, here's what you can do.

for the Tartar sauce:

8 oz cream cheese
12 fl. oz Evaporated milk
1/2 cup pickle relish
2 tbsp white vinegar (I used cider, but more than 2tbsp)
salt and white pepper
I also added a bit of minced onions


For the fish

Cream dory
eggs
Evaporated milk
oats
salt and pepper
paprika
garlic powder
cooking oil


1. Make the tartar sauce. Combine the cream cheese (at room temperature) and the evaporated milk. Whisk until creamy. Add  the rest of the ingredients. Season to taste. Refrigerate for an hour or so.

2. In a bowl, combine the oats, salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder. Mix well. Dip the cream dory into the egg and milk mixture (I used 2 eggs and 12 fl. oz of milk for 9 cream dory fillets). Roll the fish into the oat mixture, covering it completely.

3. Pan fry each side for 4-5 minutes per side.

4. Serve immediately with lemon wedges (optional) and tartar sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment